"Noosa Heads" Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Things to Do Tip by iandsmith

Australia Things to Do: 1,336 reviews and 2,265 photos

Sunset over Noosa from Ti Tree Bay
by iandsmith

It's scary and sad. It was 40 years ago when I first visited Noosa. One of my most vivid memories was surfing at Ti Tree Bay lit by a golden sunset in 5 foot waves totally glassed-off with just a friend of mine for company apart from nature.
These were indeed, the good times.
We camped in a caravan at the end of the main street. It rained every night yet every day was sunny with light offshore winds. It was towards the end of autumn.
One day I drove my old Holden ute onto the beach and past the coloured sands of Teewah accompanied at one stage by an inquisitive osprey. We were on our way to Double Island Point along a 30 kilometre beach drive to one of the world's great surf breaks on the rare occasions when it works. It was just an average wave the day we were there but we had a surf anyway.
A few days later the old ute finally carked it and I sold it for scrap on the Gold Coast on the way home before we hitchhiked to Byron for a few days and then loaded our boards on a train and hitched all the way to Newcastle.
These days there is no caravan park at the end of the main street; when the surf is working it will be crowded and the only place you'll find a ute like the one I had will be in a museum. All I have is the memory.
Today the place has become crassly commercialized, the drive for the tourist dollar blotting out any resemblance of times past. The quiet river is now rent by the noise of hire jetskis and crisscrossed by a myriad of tourist craft; the main street is wall-to-wall shops; motels, apartments and shops vie for space as you travel inland.
Banner holding protesters of the past only served to slow the development, not halt it. There is a feeling of resentment from some locals of what their town has become.
See my Noosa page for many more pics and info.

• Written Oct 12, 2004

iandsmith Lives Here!

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to Australia?