"Avoid Budget rent a car Chile (Tattersal Leasing)" Chile Warnings Or Dangers Tip by eladn

Chile Warnings and Dangers: 44 reviews and 28 photos

I got a battered Suzuki Grand Vitara with 85000KM (!) -
compared to 5k-12k cars I got in Argentina.

After driving for 30 minutes I realized the A/C is dead, returned and they fixed it. Later I realized high beam doesn't work either.

Two mornings after, it turned out the A/C was faulty again. I went to the Iquique office, got the same story (no replacement car, wait for it to be fixed again), we agreed to replace the car in Calama.

I got there, and the car was not ready - they did not get the replacement tires. They suggested to take 2 tires from the existing car (The new car was 71000km...). I asked the guy if he's sure the tires are ok, since he replaced only two - he told me yes. I left with the "new" vitara with 2 wheels from the "old" Vitara. After 300km the tire ruptured completely.

I got back to Budget Calama, only to hear that they're going to charge me (!) for rupturing their old bad tire. The tires were replaced with 4 other somewhat old tires.

I drove the car, and then started driving back to Arica. After few hundred KMs, I noticed one of the wheels is a bit short on air. A budget employee passed by while I was in my hotel in Arica and suggested to change it free of charge.

I returned the car.

I was told:

the charge is:

$134 (!) for the first rupture tire
$134 (!) for the "destroyed" rim (only small bents, can be fixed).
$134 (!) for the second "destroyed" tire (they only fixed the puncture, if at all)

Note that the contract says only the client is responsible to verify the state of the car, no obligation for the rental company.

Only after threateaning to sue them in Chile and the US, cancel my credit card, etc., they agreed:

I will pay roughly the original sum, and we signed a waiver agreement.

Since it involved 3 different locations and the head of international reservation in Santiago, I believe this is not an isolated case.

• Written Oct 11, 2004

“Study beforehand and come prepared, doing the trip you own way”

Ranked Member