"Museo de la Nación, Lima" Peru Things to Do Tip by Paul2001

Nazca Mummy, Museo de la Nación, Lima
      Nazca Mummy, Museo de la Nación, Lima
      Erotic pottery, Museo de la Nación, Lima
    by Paul2001

The most important museum to visit Lima and perhaps all of Peru, is the Museo de la Nación. This museum, housed in a large rather ugly modern building, is the home for many of country important ancient artifacts. There are scores of mummies, brilliant ceramics and textiles scattered throughout the museum.
The museum exhibits are set up in chronological order from the earliest Peruvian civilizations to colonial times. There are also several scale model exhibits of several of Peru's pre-Columbian cities. Many of the displays are labeled in English. I highly recommend that you visit this museum if you journey through Peru is extensive as mine was. I found that the museum gave me valuable insight into the timeline of pre-Colombian Peru that I was ignorant of before I began my trip. Because of my visit to this museum I actually made some excursions to some of the ancient sites in Peru that I would have otherwise overlooked.
It costs S/6 to visit the museum, which is open from 9am to 5pm from Tuesday to Sunday. Oddly enough the museum does not seem to have a website.

Address: Av. Javier Prado Este 2465, San Borja