Mitchells, Clifden, Co. Galway: "Kids not made feel welcome" County Galway Restaurant Tip by IrishAtHome

County Galway Restaurants: 14 reviews and 10 photos

The restaurant has a nice ambience but on the day we were there the staff were as wooden as the furniture. My wife, my 4yr old ,my 2 yr old and myself came for lunch. What struck us first was the prices on the childrens menu. The items were listed much the same as the items on the regular lunch menu but about ?1.50 dearer than the adult option!!!! Average price for a kids portion burger and fries ?11.50 ($14). We asked could we get a plain ccorned beef sandwich for the 4yrold, this arrived at a cost of ?6.95 ($8.60). My wife had the burger and fries, I had fish and chips, 3 cokes....Total ?35 ($45).Tip ...dont go back!!! Food was mediocre, staf were dreadful. Our feelings on leaving this restaurnat were mixed. We wondered is there an unwritten policy that kids are not welcome in this particular restaurant?, Is Ireland the most expensive country in the world to travel in? Am I turning into a grumpy old man? Our conclusions were ...YES YES and NO...not necessarily in tht order...or maybe yes. With this sort of attitude Im not sure when we'll be holidaying at home in Ireland again.

Favorite Dish: Plain corned beef sandwich at the extortionate price of ?6.95

Address: Market Square Clifden, Co Galway
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 1
Theme: Seafood

• Updated Oct 7, 2004

“Why rip us off at home?”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to County Galway?