"Fair Lady & other "Comfort Bars" -- Kowloon" Hong Kong Nightlife Tip by Ewingjr98

Hong Kong Nightlife: 313 reviews and 298 photos

We stopped by the Fair Lady bar when a hawker on the street told us they had beers for HK$19. We figured that was a pretty good price, so we went down the stairs and inside this run-down bar full of women and pink lights. When we sat down at the bar, a lady immediately started dancing on a small stage behind the bar. I ordered a beer and DW ordered a Jack and Coke... the Jack and Coke was HK$88 and they tried to charge the same for my beer until I argued that the person outside told me HK$19. They reluctantly charged me the lower amount.

Next things got a little more interesting. The dancing ladies were all either Thai or Filipina. Two of them sat down with us and began casual conversation... next thing they asked for a drink. I asked the bartender how much and she told me HK$220 (US$27.50)! Finally getting a better idea of what was up, we declined their offer for drinks, finished our own drinks, and made our way to the door.

Hong Kong is full of many such "Comfort" or "Ladies" bars that offer conversation or more (?) in exchange for expensive drinks. The women are almost exclusively Thai and Filipina. These places are not worth your money, unless you are a rich man with a wallet bigger than your brain...

Directions: Fair Lady is on Hankow Road, along with many other similar establishments. Wanchai is also full of similar bars along Lockhart Street.
Theme: Adult Spot

• Updated Oct 4, 2004

“"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~ Ernest Hemingway”

Have you been to Hong Kong?