Mary Martin Books Cafe Bar: "The Bibliophile finds another good bookshop" Melbourne Shopping Tip by aussiedoug

Melbourne Shopping: 115 reviews and 104 photos

Side Entrance in Arcade
by aussiedoug

If you've browsed a few of my pages you know I love bookshops. Now when they're combined with an equally good cafe then I'm almost in seventh heaven.

Don't know how I found out about this place. Read it somewhere (but not on VT this time) and found it easily enough as Melbourne is a pretty good city to navigate around being not too big & laid out along a reasonabley straightforward rectangular grid.

What to buy: Only having my daypack with me I didn't do my usual buying which would have been a book each for my twin girls and a couple of books for me.

So, and this is a rarity for daddy. I just bought two books for myself.

Would have liked something good on Melbourne, but the only possibilities were a bit heavy for the daypack.

So after a significant period of browsing, after all that's half the fun in a bookshop particularly isn't it, I purchased the following two books:

"Sahara" by Michael Palin. If you don't know Michael Palin from one of his travel series on TV then you might know him from the Movie, "A Fish Called Wanda" I still remember him in that movie with a chip (french fry) stuck up each nostril. If you're old enough you might even remember him from the "Monty Python" TV series back in the late 60's. I'm about half way through reading this at the moment & a fascinating & enjoyable read it is. Not to mention highly informative.

Also I bought a lovely hardcover book called, "The Great Ocean Road". Photographed & written by Rodney Hyett. Superb photographs of a beautiful area of Victoria. An area I surfed with a too many years ago & must take my girls down to see it one day.

What to pay: Average prices for books in Australia. For European (especially western Europeans) travellers you'll find books cheaper here than home, but for U.S. travellers you may well find them at least a little more expensive.

Address: 8/108 Bourke Street. The "Top End" of Bourke St
Directions: It's about 2 blocks east of Bourke Street Mall.
Only about 5-7 minutes walk from Flinders Street Station & Federation Square.

Phone: +61 3 9663 9633
Theme: Books

• Written Oct 2, 2004

Comments

aussiedoug Visits Here Frequently!

aussiedoug

“"We must become the change we want to see." - Mahatma Gandhi”

Have you been to Melbourne?