Garden: "oasis of tranquility" Rhodes (Island) Restaurant Tip by jaynecooke

Rhodes (Island) Restaurants: 112 reviews and 242 photos

We were visiting Rhodes Town from the neighbouring island of Tilos and were looking for somewhere to eat lunch that wasn't a commercial tourist trap. We found this oasis of tranquility up in the Old Town.

It was a very hot day and walking into The cool shadiness of the Garden was wonderful.

We expected the prices to be expensive but the food was good, genuinely Greek and very reasonable (unfortunately I have lost the bill so can't say exactly how much!)

The restaurant is run by it's owner (E. Xeimaria) with the assistance of his son and daughter. On chatting we discovered he came from Tilos and his sister runs a restaurant in Tilos Town.

He is vey hospitable like all Greeks, and on discovering we were staying on Tilos insisted on giving us complimentary glasses of ouzo.

As it was so nice we went back there again on our final day when we had to spend a couple of hours in Rhodes town before going out to the airport.

Both times I had Greek salad, chips and a two glasses of pineapple joice.

Think my husband had meatballs (and a couple of beers)

The owner has a very colourful parrot which spends its time sitting in a tree and there was a half grown kitty cat which seemed to be well cared for.

There are no steps and it would be very easy for wheelchair access.

Favorite Dish: I had Greek salad and chips. Salad was fresh and delicious and so were the chips. My husband said the meatballs were very good.

Address: Orpheus 8, Rodos
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Go up to the top of the Old Town where there is a sort of square (oblong sort of square!) with a clock tower. One side of the square has stalls selling tourist tack the other has restaurants along it.
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Local

• Updated Oct 1, 2004

Comments

jaynecooke

“spirit of adventure”

Ranked Member

Have you been to Rhodes (Island)?