"Lapland" Top 5 Page for this destination Finland Things to Do Tip by magor65

Finland Things to Do: 359 reviews and 405 photos

husky of Lapland
by magor65

I think that Lapland is this place that attracts tourists to Finland. We associate it with unspoilt nature, reindeers, endless hiking trails, husky safaris, and of course Santa Claus. Visiting Rovaniemi, the capital of Lapland, will give you only the foretaste of what this region may be like and, as it was in our case, the feeling that next time you must explore the 'real' North. And I regret to say that Santa Claus village and arctic circle was a big disappointment. They are too kitschy and commercial for me. Looking at the queue of people (often adults) who waited to shake hands with a fake Santa Claus and have a picture with him for 'mere' 17 Euro, made me think: 'Aren't they crazy?'. So we quickly left the place and took a nice stroll along Koujanoki river in Rovaniemi.
I wonder what is the best time to visit Lapland. For people like me, who are not very keen on winter sports and prefer higher temperatures, summer seems to be the best choice. We visited Rovaniemi in August and the days were long, at 10 p.m. it still wasn't dark. But during part of the summer the sun doesn't set at all. So next time I'll come here in July to experience night-less night. And i will go to Inari!

• Written Oct 1, 2004

Comments

magor65

“I'm no longer sure that what's important is more important than what is not”

Have you been to Finland?