Pontini Trattoria Bar: "Eat like a Venetian..." Venice Restaurant Tip by mapakettle

Venice Restaurants: 799 reviews and 1,029 photos

obvious...

obvious...
    by mapakettle
      look for this view of the Cannaregio, on right...
    by mapakettle

Definitely frequented by locals.We've been here about five times, and each time, it seems that the Venetians, not tourists, had occupied every table.

Very loud, but seemingly fun for all. People from every age group were saddled up to the bar, visiting and having a grand time. Fortunately we were outside, so the din of conversation was carried away by the canal and the passing of vaporetti's.

If Venice is a dying city, someone should let these good people know...

Bathroom is neat, clean, and North American style bowl, with seat. Warm water, soap, and paper.

Favorite Dish: The food is basic, by that I mean good, but no fancy add-ons that annoy the heck out of me. I enjoy pasta, but I don't want roasted pumpkin seeds sprinkled on top, or cappucino with Mongolian Sheeps milk. I want good basic pasta, maybe with seafood, often with ragu sauce.

Last night I had the seafood option. Most disappointing. My dish had broken bits of clam shells mixed in with the pasta, and I was forever crushing little pieces between my teeth. I'll NEVER order it again, in any restaurant. This experience was like eating a boiled egg, and finding that it had gone bad. Puts you off boiled eggs forever, as this has put me off Spagetti alo Scoglio (Fruit of the Sea). A most unappealing meal. Tasty, but hell on molars. Never chance it again.

I find no fault with the restaurant for the broken shells. If anything, I should have mentioned something, not for a price reduction, but rather as a warning so other patrons wouldn't suffer a broken tooth. I didn't, and I should have.

Ma Kettle and I were with VT member Risamay (Marissa)(very pleasant young lady, I might add) for a mini- VT meet, and they had ordered Gnocci in tomato sauce, which was very good. Be warned however, the pasta here is usually ordered as a prelude to a fish or meat dinner, so portions are relatively small. However, at euro 6, not a bad choice.

The house wine, (red in our case), was fresh and zingy. A full litre was euro 7,50.

We sat for a long time, and were never rushed. Service was prompt, efficient, and meals were served with a smile, even with a full house.

Date of visit late Sept/2004...Total price for three, including cocktails for three (Spritz), Litre of wine, and Pasta.... euro 38,50 (coperto included)

Update Mar 11/2006...Ma Kettle and I had two small plates of fries (3 euro each), one salad (3.50 euro), one beer (5 euro), and a glass of wine (2.50 euro)...plus two coperto charges (1.80 euro each) total price 20.60 euro. Prices are increasing, portions are shrinking.

Address: Cannaregio 1268 (canal Cannaregio)
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Turn left as you exit train station, stay this side of the canal (don't cross bridge), stroll past the shops til you come to Canale Cannaregio, cross the bridge, then turn left. Walk 30 seconds, Pontini is on your right, canale on your left.
Phone: 041 714123
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 3
Theme: Italian

• Updated Mar 12, 2006

Comments

mapakettle

“creases merely show where your smiles begin”

Have you been to Venice?