"Once a Small College. Now, a Large University." Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Favorite Tip by deecat

Illinois General: 52 reviews and 39 photos

Dee as Cheerleader at Homecoming Bonfire
by deecat

Favorite thing: When I attended Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, Illinois, from 1959-1963, there were about eight to ten thousand students; today, the university has two campuses that total more than thirty five thousand. During my stay there, emphasis was on: Education,Culture, Physical and Spiritual Well Being, Social Growth, and Community Service in our lives. Southern was growing faster than any university in the country, It had already skyrocketed from a small institution for teacher training into a diversified educational center.
I personally was studying Business Education with a minor in English. It was the English that won my soul; thus, I taught English for over thirty years after graduating.
The Library, the Student Union, the Science Building, and Thompson Point Dorms were all brand new. I lived at Thompson Point where I looked out on the Campus Lake, and I had to walk from the main campus through Thompson Woods to reach my dorm. What a fantastic place to live.!I stayed there all four years; my last year as a Resident Counselor.
I met my future husband there; I learned the importance of a well-rounded education, and I learned about the importance of the natural environment there.
John F. Kennedy visited as a Presidental Candidate. The Four Lads and the Diamonds both entertained us there!
I learned about Egypt since the area was Little Egypt. The yearbook is called Obelisk; the team mascot is the Egyptian Saluki Dog, Towns around Carbondale had such names as Cairo, Thebes, and Dongola!

Fondest memory: Besides my academics, I was an SIU Cheerleader, a member of Pi Omega Pi (a national honorary Business Education fraternity, on the Social Council for my Dorm, and I served as a Resident Counselor for one floor in my Dorm.
I especially loved the Campus Lake, which had been in operation for only two years. It provided swimming, boating, fishing, picnicking, and a place to commune with Nature. Only Southern's students & faculty were allowed to swim there. The Canoes, rowboats, paddle boats, a a surplus amphibian craft called the "duck" certainly provided fun. We could picnick around the lake on the ground or at one of the numerous Geodesic dome shelters. The Campus Boat House provided the setting for dances, picnics, and contests at SIU. Scattered around the lake were many cement fishing piers. This place was greatly appreciated because of the strict car ban instituted because of a lack of space.
Carbondale and SIU were my home for four years, and I have such fond memories of this beautiful place.

• Updated Sep 30, 2004

deecat Used To Live Here!

Have you been to Illinois?