"Driving in China" China Transportation Tip by mke1963

China Transportation: 268 reviews and 211 photos

I get occasional e-mails asking for advice from prospective tourists who want to drive themselves around China.
My advice: you would be insane to even consider driving yourself in China if you are a tourist. I mean that: insane. I live here and I choose not to drive (and I enjoy driving).

Reasons:
1) China has 1.5% of the world's vehicles and 15% of the world's fatal road accidents.
2) The situation is getting worse. Fast
3) Road user beahviour in China is staggeringly bad. So bad that almost every, single journey, every single day involves seeing almost suicidal manoeuevres by road users.
4) I see a fatal road accident almost every week, and I mainly make only short journeys.
5) In the last seven days I have seen two fatal road accidents, two further 'probables', the results of horrendous accidents being carried away on trucks, three further serious accidents (two rear-enders, one roll-over), eight minor accidents (probably only broken limbs). This is from travelling to/from work, a business trip to Shenzhen, and a 250km return trip north of Miyun (five of the accidents).
6) The road rules are broken constantly (by this I mean constantly, by most drivers, most of the time): running red lights, driving at speed on sidewalks, driving the wrong way on highways, overtaking on blind bends, overtaking on the cycle lane, turning where it is forbidden.
7) The probability of a tourist driver being involved in an accident are extremely high.
8) If you are involved in even a minor accident, you could face imprisonment, fines, and confiscation of your vehicle until blame can be apportioned.
9) If you are the driver involved in an injury accident, you may be in physical danger rom friends or relatives of those injured (even if it was not your fault)

Let me spelt it out one more time: INSANE

Mode: AROUND
Type: Car/Motor Home

• Written Sep 29, 2004

Comments

mke1963 Used To Live Here!

mke1963