"Roquebrunne" Top 5 Page for this destination Nice Off The Beaten Path Tip by NiceLife
Nice Off The Beaten Path: 125 reviews and 149 photos
The French flag stands proud atop the fortification of the medieval village of Roquebrunne. For hundreds of years flags of a various hues waved here, as the political history of the Cote d'Azur evolved. Variously under the kingdoms of Sadinia, Savoy, and the Count of Provence, the borders of Italy periodically extended to the river Var beyond Nice, whilst the Count of Ventimiglia and powerful Grimaldi dynasty wrestled for mastery.
Now a densely packed mass of narrow winding streets and proudly restored ancient dwellings. To be reached by a fierce climb up a kilometre of steps from the main Monaco - Menton road, enough to leave you breathless but enjoying a fantastic view down the coast to Monaco and Monte Carlo.
Below the village at sea level is the large forested area of Cap Martin, dotted with exclusive luxury villas and estates. Famous for the little wooded cabanon of the architect Le Corbusier, who one day went off for a swim, never to return.
Also below in Cap Martin in the former Fairmont Hotel, now "Europe Village", is the headquarters of the Supreme Mistress Ching Hai, who heads a meditation cult under the corporate name SCI Skylove. The self-named "Celeste d'Amour", Ching Hai is a Vietnamese-born British petite blonde who figured there are enough rich and gullible people to support a luxury lifestyle here. To the disgust of other wealthy residents, the cult is passing home to hundreds of devotees from all around the globe.
More Off The Beaten Path in Nice (35)
More Reviews (154)
- See All New bus tariffs from May 3rd, 2013
- See All Promenades des Anglais (2005) Olivier...
- See All Riviera Road Safety and two wheels
- See All At last - beer at sensible prices - with...
- See All One final "thing to do" - do nothing!
- See All Why shopkeepers are suspicious of you
- See All Temperature around the year in Nice
- See All Well recommended by the many Scots...
- See All Power-assisted para-flying thingumy
- See All Where to see big French and...
- See All Nice Etoile
- See All You came here to get away from this, no?
NiceLife's Related Pages
Have you been to Nice?Share Your Travels