"Cimiez cimetieres" Top 5 Page for this destination Cimiez Tip by NiceLife
Cimiez, Nice: 6 reviews and 11 photos
The cemetary at Cimiez is the last resting place of two giants of french art - Matisse and Raoul Dufy. Both painted prolifically in Nice, inspired by the colurs and patterns around them. It is fitting they should leave their last impression in the cemetery here.
Finding them amidst the mausoleums and sepulchres of grand Italian families is no small feat, but under blue skies a task that allows unhurried browsing through the last hundred years of Nice life. Or should that be Nice Death?
As a visitor to Nice you will become familiar with the district and street names - Garribaldi, Gambetta, Pastorelli, Grosso. The trick is to match the names to the grand mausoleums and family tombs. You will also find the family internment of Jellinek-Mercedes - founders of Daimler Benz AG and the motor car Mercedes empire. However the Medecin clan - Nice's notorious mayors Jacques and son Jean, are interred at a little churchyard with a view over all Nice up in Gairault. Thats a different excursion.
Phone: 04 93 81 00 04
More Things to Do in Nice (38)
More Reviews (151)
- See All New bus tariffs from May 3rd, 2013
- See All Promenades des Anglais (2005) Olivier...
- See All Riviera Road Safety and two wheels
- See All At last - beer at sensible prices - with...
- See All Why shopkeepers are suspicious of you
- See All Love to walk in the sky? :Grande...
- See All Temperature around the year in Nice
- See All Well recommended by the many Scots...
- See All Power-assisted para-flying thingumy
- See All Where to see big French and...
- See All Nice Etoile
- See All You came here to get away from this, no?
NiceLife's Related Pages
Have you been to Nice?Share Your Travels