"From my personal observations,..." Dress Code Tip by Krystynn

Dress Code, Hong Kong: 5 reviews and 4 photos

From my personal observations, I realized that the Hongkongers place a lot of emphasis on the way a person dresses. You may be rich but if you're clad in shorts and T-shirt, don't expect to receive a warm welcome when you shop at the local boutiques or department store.

Anyway, I was clad in a pair of jeans and t-shirt and decided to go shopping at <b>Lane Crawford department store</b> one fine morning.... NO sales assistant even bothered to attend to me. When I wanted to purchase an Estee Lauder lipstick, the sales assistant muttered in Cantonese (thinking that I didn't understand Chinese) 'If she doesn't have the money, don't buy!'. My jaws literally dropped when I understood what she said! I was soooo peeved (and I don't easily get mad, incidentally) that I threw the lipstick onto the counter table and stalked off.

I called up my girlfriend (who lives in HK now) and narrated the entire incident to her.... This was what she said 'Yes, this is Hongkong. If you're an Asian, do dress up. If you're a Caucasian (and the Hongkongers LOVE Caucasians), they can get away with any kind of dressing'.

After a couple of unfortunate incidents... and whenever I do go to Hongkong, I'd dress up as if I'm attending a big gala ball!! But if I can, I'd try and AVOID coming to this city. It's not one of my personal favorites....

In short, if you have the money, FLAUNT it so that you can receive the BEST service available. (If you ask me, I think the really rich folks DON'T flaunt their wealth... Only those that probably need to prove a point will flaunt it, ya know?).

Review Helpfulness: 1 out of 5 stars

• Written Aug 24, 2002

“There is beauty everywhere. Just put your heart into your eyes”

Have you been to Hong Kong?