"Destroyed by Soviets :-(" Top 5 Page for this destination Church of St George Tip by matcrazy1
Church of St George, Kaunas: 11 reviews and 25 photos
St. George church was famous for its paintings. They survived German, Swedish, Polish, Napoleon's, Russian tzar troops but they didn't survive (mostly) Soviet occupation. Unfortunally the church was used as a storehouse that time. I got to know that some chemical and medicine goods were stored there and they destroyed the paintings and wood curvings.
Hmm... the church was not renovated (yet) after Soviet occupation when I was there in 2004. Look at broken windowpanes of gothic window, on my picture.
Address: Papillo gatve 7, 3000 Kaunas, Lithuania
Directions: 3-5 min. walk from the northwestern corner of the Town Hall Square (Rotuses aikste): walk westwards and turn right, the monastery and church on the left.
More Things to Do in Kaunas (100)
More Reviews (196)
- See All Few direction signs
- See All No paper boxes
- See All Temporarily closed streets
- See All No vacancy?
- See All Kaunas in Europe?
- See All Sculpture in the air :-)
- See All Lithuanian, wooden cross
- See All More info?
- Weather, walking shoes, a tripod...
- See All Where and what to eat in Kaunas?
- See All Good night and sweet dreams :-)
- See All Walking/hiking around
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Kaunas?Share Your Travels