"St. George Church" Top 5 Page for this destination Church of St George Tip by matcrazy1
Church of St George, Kaunas: 11 reviews and 25 photos
This huge structure of St. George Church was originally built in 1400 in Gothic style. Its walls survived a few fires in the past. Well, the church was built on Latin cross plan but had to be reconstructed in strange way as the proportions of its parts weren't natural. I mean for example too large back part (an apse) on my picture.
The church and adjacent Bernardine Monastery was seperated from the Kaunas Castle by quite deep deppression, the former moat, covered by green grass nowadays. It was called in Lithuanian: Sv. Jurgio baznycia ir BernardinÝ vienuolynas.
Address: Papillo gatve 7, 3000 Kaunas, Lithuania
Directions: 3-5 min. walk from the northwestern corner of the Town Hall Square (Rotuses aikste): walk westwards and turn right, the monastery and church on the left.
More Things to Do in Kaunas (100)
More Reviews (196)
- See All Few direction signs
- See All No paper boxes
- See All Temporarily closed streets
- See All No vacancy?
- See All Kaunas in Europe?
- See All Sculpture in the air :-)
- See All Lithuanian, wooden cross
- See All More info?
- Weather, walking shoes, a tripod...
- See All Where and what to eat in Kaunas?
- See All Good night and sweet dreams :-)
- See All Walking/hiking around
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Kaunas?Share Your Travels