"come to the 'City of Angels' ..." North America Favorite Tip by Krystynn

North America General: 229 reviews and 89 photos

Favorite thing: come to the '<i>City of Angels</i>' - <b><u>LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA</u></b> here in the <b>U.S.A.</b>.

Yes, warmest greetings from LOS ANGELES..... I don't know about you but for a foreign visitor like myself, and having grown up watching predominantly (99.9%) American TV shows and movies, I had expected LA to be... <i>ya know</i>...like what I see in the movies. But <i>boy</i>, was I <i>reeeally</i> surprised with what I saw!

Firstly, I was way, way too 'overdressed' for LA. I mean, everywhere I went, I see these gorgeous California girls donning sexy tank tops with strategically ripped shorts/ jeans and t-shirts... that after only one hour in the city, I felt like ripping my jeans with a pair of scissors too. Then whilst shopping along Melrose Avenue (<i>in a shop selling Norma Kamali clothes</i>) one afternoon, I accidentally mistook a guy (<i>I believe he was working there at the time</i>) for a sales lady. <i>Not a good sign at all</i>. But he did have lovely, long flowing Julia Roberts-type of hair!

And knowing me, being such a sloooow learner and all, when my American friend brought me out to spend a day at Venice Beach on the 4th of July, I was again way, way too 'overdressed'. <i>Sigh.</i> I mean, the girls there all seem... so... skimpily attired (read: sexy <i>a la</i> Pam Anderson)...that... I'm sure they must think I'm a first-class prude, <i>ya know</i>?! No, it's just me going through my first bouts of CULTURE SHOCK, that's all!!! ;-)

When a friend mentioned that we were going to spend a day at the 'Beach', of course I thought I was going swimming and packed all my swimming gear along with me (!!).... only to be told by him (<i>when we arrived at the place</i>) that it was <i>tooooo</i> cold to swim. <i>Huh??</i> Most people just hang around the area and chill out. <i>And they hardly swim?? </i>

And not to mention how surprised I was when I found out that the coffee and drinks here are all REFILLABLE (believe me, this word 'refillable' doesn't quite exist in Asia or Europe) and the food portions are all soooo HUGE, I almost had to beg the other diners to eat my other half-portion! When I finally left LA for home, I had turned into a coffee junkie!!! :-(( Heeeeelpppp!

If you're interested to know how a certain 'country bumpkin' (<i>I wonder who!</i>) survived in this exciting city, please click onto this link and it'd bring you straight to my <a href='http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.41281/270/?s=B&DM=1'target=newwindow>LOS ANGELES</a> travel page. <i>Thanks!</i>

<b><font color=red>Photo Below: My friends and I enjoying ourselves at Universal Studios Hollywood - in sunny LA. </b></font>

Review Helpfulness: 1 out of 5 stars

• Written Aug 24, 2002

“There is beauty everywhere. Just put your heart into your eyes”

Have you been to North America?