"Poor light and blurred pictures" Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Warnings Or Dangers Tip by matcrazy1

Kaunas Warnings and Dangers: 40 reviews and 33 photos

by matcrazy1

I took pictures inside museums of Kaunas, I visited. Devils in the Museum of Devils were not always well lighted. When I took pictures without a built-up flash, I found them blurred (look at my picture). I didn't have a tripod to use longer exposure and using a flash had some disadvantages as well.

Keep in mind that a built in (or even additional) flash on most cameras can only light up an area between 3 - 6 m in front of the camera (10 - 20 ft, depends on the flash and DIN of your film). My camera's shutter opens and has to stay open for up to several seconds for enough light to hit the film to make an image at night/bad light. The problem: most people cannot hold a camera perfectly still for more than a small fraction of a second - usually more than 1/30 or 1/45 s. Just notice here that larger camera you have, easier you can hold it.

So, if you want
to take pictures at night (except objects up to a few meters in front of your camera) you must use a tripod, never mind how good (and expensive) is your camera.
Hmm... I still must buy a tripod for my camera. I think about two tripods: one mini-tripod, very small, primitive one, I could say but cheap, light and easy to carry with me. And the second: real, professional tripod with a bag.

Not so easy to choose from :-):
SLIK tripods (Japan)
MANFROTTO tripods (Italy)
about tripods on photo.net

• Written Sep 15, 2004

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Kaunas?