"Prague for Kids" Prague Favorite Tip by gilabrand

Prague General: 753 reviews and 980 photos

Netanella at the National Museum
by gilabrand

Fondest memory: I took my daughter to Prague when she was 10, and she loved it. We went to all the ordinary attractions, not necessarily for children, but it was fine with her.

I think kids will particularly enjoy the performers on Charles Bridge and the workshop for marionettes right under the bridge. There is a small toy museum near the castle that we didn't have time to go into, displaying toys that belonged to the princes and princesses.

In the late afternoon or evening, get tickets for a black theater performance, which is a kind of shadow theater with special lighting effects. No language skills are needed, and the subject matter is less important than the music and the pyrotechnics.

When we first got to Prague, we hired an open-topped antique 1930s car to take us on an hour's ride around town to get a feel for the place. It wasn't cheap but it was fun. You get a lot of people turning their heads, and for the time being, your kids won't complain that their feet hurt...

On the second floor of one of the houses on Golden Lane there's a display of knights' armor and gowns worn by the aristocracy. At the end of the corridor is a creepy-looking torture chamber. That was one place my daughter hated. She couldn't wait to leave...

• Updated Dec 16, 2004

Comments

gilabrand

“You were born an original; don't die a copy.”

Have you been to Prague?