"visit INDONESIA. And our..." Asia Favorite Tip by Krystynn

Asia General: 161 reviews and 117 photos

Favorite thing: visit <b>INDONESIA</b>.

And our first stop in this country is the capital city of INDONESIA - <b><u>JAKARTA</u></b>.

Yes, welcome to beautiful JAKARTA, the capital city of the world's most populated Muslim nation (over 200 million people)! I was very blessed indeed to be able to visit this beautiful city before the racial riots broke out in full force in 1999 causing the bulk of the Chinese population living in Indonesia to flee the country to safer grounds... like Singapore. It was especially dramatic for me as I watched my Chinese and American colleagues hastily flee the country. The Corporation where I was working for even had to charter a jumbo jet to ferry our expat colleagues out of the country within 24 hours when news of the unrest broke out. It was terrifying indeed as I heard how some of these students and civilians stopped cars en route to the airport and literally robbed the passengers of ALL their valuables and cash! Worse still if you're a Chinese as they were the main targets during the riots. :-( So, most of them had to disguise themselves as Muslims just for self-preservation.

Anyhow, that aside, I truly enjoyed this particular trip (my first trip to the Indonesian capital). It was especially memorable for me as it was a post-birthday gift from one of my dearest, dearest friends who resides in Jakarta. <i>Thank you, Rini</i>.
:-)))) I hope Jakarta will be fun for you as it was for me.

If you want to know what other tourist attractions to see in the capital city, please surf straight to my <b><u>JAKARTA</b></u> travel page for more details. <i>Thanks!</i>

<b>Photo Below: </b> <i>Yours truly</i> at the beautiful miniature world here in Jakarta known simply as 'Taman Mini'. <i>Don't miss it</i>.

Review Helpfulness: 1 out of 5 stars

• Written Aug 24, 2002

“There is beauty everywhere. Just put your heart into your eyes”

Have you been to Asia?