"Sickles, scynthes, movers..." Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Local Custom Tip by matcrazy1
Kaunas Local Customs: 57 reviews and 61 photos
I found these two old sickles, on my picture, not in etnographic museum but in Berneliu Uzeiga restaurant. There were quite many old countryside appliances hang on walls in that restaurant.
A sickle was used for cutting grass and grain crops in the past and then was supplanted by a scynthe with longer handle. Well, a sickle symbolizing peasants and a hummer symbolising industrial workers was a symbol of the Soviet Union in not so old past.
There were gas/petrol lawn mowers used for cutting grass in Lithuania when I was there. Athough, a few times I saw scynthes put by local homes in off the beaten path villages.
More Local Customs in Kaunas (39)
More Reviews (257)
- See All Few direction signs
- See All Nude symbol of Kaunas
- See All No paper boxes
- See All Temporarily closed streets
- See All No vacancy?
- See All Kaunas in Europe?
- See All Sculpture in the air :-)
- See All More info?
- Weather, walking shoes, a tripod...
- See All Where and what to eat in Kaunas?
- See All Good night and sweet dreams :-)
- See All Walking/hiking around
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Kaunas?Share Your Travels