London Pubs Are Everywhere!!!: "What is Important in a London Pub !?!" London Nightlife Tip by Elena_007

London Nightlife: 1,210 reviews and 1,209 photos

One More Round ... ;-)
by Elena_007

Looking for an interesting pub in London? One with real ale and live music perhaps? Whatever your preferences, you are sure to find something to your liking ...

1st, I typed in London pubs located near Waterloo tube station. Wow! The search engine found 1196 pubs within 3 miles of Waterloo tube station. Now which one? Ok, so I then refined my search to: London pubs near Waterloo tube station with live music. OK, That helped narrow it down to only 19 pubs in the area. What else would I want in a pub for the evening?

Available options:
Pool table, Quiz machine, Fruit machines, Pinball table, Football, Dartboard, TV, Sky TV, Big screen, Jukebox , Live music, Quiz night, Late licence, Real ale, Food served, Sunday roast, Outside seating, Riverside location, Car park, Wireless internet access, By ratings

I thought, "What is a fruit machine?" Never mind, all I want is some real ale, and live music with a decent rating by other patrons, and possibly some food to eat, in case I get hungry. After making the necessary changes on their easy to use site, i.e. real ale, food, live music near Waterloo tube station ... 5 Matches found! Nearly on my way.

I notice the comments of actual paying customers, and a few seem really intriguing, so I click on ... and find ...Cozy and atmospheric, can be hard to find so mainly full of locals. A very friendly pub with an interesting history. There is a tunnel under the road leading to the hanging tree at Marble Arch as the prisoners used to be kept in the basement. Some nice little 'cubby-holes'.

Sounds like this could be the one. The rating is good. A 7.3 out of a possible 10. The brewery is Hall and Woodhouse. Well, that means nothing to me, so not much help, but I am interested in a "locals" pub, so I think I will go check it out the next time I visit.

The Masons Arms
Address: 51 Upper Berkeley Street, London, W1H 7PP
Tel: 020 7723 2131

There are also several nearby pubs listed, as well, within less than 1/2 mile radius. Seems there is a pub on every corner in London!

Dress Code: Judging from the comments below, I would say it's a casual dress code.

They sell bottled wheat beer and the excellent Blandford Fly. What more can I say, except has anyone seen my sandals?

Best pub around, even though it's not the most popular. Beer could be of a higher standard, and is best supped whilst sitting outside with a kebab bought from Edgware road

Nice locals pub - and found a great little hidden booth (right behind the bar) - perfect for a few pints with a small group of friends. (or a slightly larger group of small friends)

Pubs are an individual choice, and unless you have some clue about what you want, you could possibly wander into a disappointing experience. Using the tools provided by this web site, a tourist or a local can find something to suit any taste. There is even a "clickable" map for your destination to help to get you there, once you decide where you are going. Also, if you know the name of the pub you want to visit, just type in the name, and see what others have to say about it.

Like Virtual Tourists, membership is not required to fully use the site. I found it to be interesting, helpful, and a bit of fun. Of course, this is no exact science, but I feel it is a much better alternative than being clueless. There is a bit more about it on my 'Local Customs' tips, along with some interesting differences in our dialect.

The English language(s) ... 'Proper' and 'American English', There IS a difference!
TransAtlantic Translations

Theme: Other
Website: http://www.beerintheevening.com

• Updated Nov 26, 2005

Comments

Elena_007

“Smile ... because you can :)”

Have you been to London?