"Leech in Raining Season" Pokhara Warnings Or Dangers Tip by illa

Pokhara Warnings and Dangers: 22 reviews and 16 photos

Yes, it's bleeding a lot, but there's no pain
by illa

There is no joke. If you go trekking in mountains during May, June, July or August, be prepared to have leeches. Yes there are, many many of them, especially after a rain.

Our guide decided to change the route one morning after raining, saying that the route in our plan was not under the sun, while another one he knew would lead us to the same point by a dryer route, so we agreed.

Later we found even on this "dryer" route there were hundreds of leeches. The guide said so you can imagine what it would be on another wetter route. Oh no, please, I don't want to imagine, though in my mind inevasiblly there was a picture of the mountain road full of leeches with their head dancing spying in the air.

How to avoid them? Almost no way. However, I found later wearing shorts attracts less leeches than long pants. Sound ridiculous? In fact, Light and dry are the enemy of leeches, so we should prepare them less dark and damp places to hid inside us.

Mind your steps. Stay on the dryer route, don't walk on grass. Watching your steps can also help, as you can see them on the ground if you check carefully each step.

But then you have less chance admiring the views. Oh what a day!

• Written Aug 28, 2004

“Like a sponge, I simply absorb.”

Have you been to Pokhara?