"All India War Memorial [India Gate]" New Delhi Things to Do Tip by ukirsari
New Delhi Things to Do: 437 reviews and 888 photos
Remind me about Arc de Triomphe in Paris! This India Gate became a landmark of New Delhi. The original name's All India War Memorial. It's a huge gate designed by Edwin Lutyens [1869-1944] in 1911 as a monument for Indian and British soldiers who died in World War I and in battle of the North-West Frontier Province and Afghan War III. Their names are captured on the four sides of the wall and an eternal flame burns in memory of unknown soldiers who passed away in Indo-Pakistan War . And facing this gate can be seen a sandstone canopy where's statue of King George V was placed on top. Now this statue moved to Coronation Park.
Address: Rajpath, New Delhi
Directions: At the eastern end of Rajpath
More Reviews (18)
- See All Greenery New Delhi
- Mingle around with the Indians at India...
- Sunblock is a must
- See All Nice wooden stuffs
- Namaste jee
- auto-rickshaw drivers? Don't believe...
- After midnight to the downtown!
- See All auto-rickshaw plus pollution air ;)
- Indian Bollywood and foreign movies
- See All Indian tomato soup
- Next to YMCA Tourist Hostel
Been to New Delhi?Share your travels with the world!
ukirsari's Related Pages
Have you been to New Delhi?Share Your Travels