"the Great Barrier Reef!Also,..." Australia Favorite Tip by Araneida

Australia General: 527 reviews and 649 photos

Favorite thing: the Great Barrier Reef!
Also, Queensland has the most to offer in the way of sight-seeing. The Great Barrier Reef is off the coast, and Daintree Rainforest, one of the oldest in the world, is in Queensland.

Fondest memory: Because this was one of my all-time favorite vacations, it is difficult to say which part was my favorite! I thoroughly enjoyed scuba-diving and snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef (my first diving trip!) The diving trip departed from Daintree Rainforest, which was also one of my favorite parts; I love the rainforest and the great variety of wildlife there. Even more than scuba-diving I enjoyed horseback riding in the Outback. We went on an all-day ride that took us through a wide variety of terrain; the last bit was through a glade of tall paper-bark trees (well named--the grey-ish white bark looks like thich paper and has been used as such) wherein thousands on little black butterflies swarmed around us. I felt like I was in a fairy tale! I also enjoyed the camel ride in Alice Springs (the deep Outback). The camels behaved themselves perfectly, and the guide told us that all the stories about camels' bad temperment come out of the Middle East where they live harder lives (and use un-neutered bulls).

Review Helpfulness: 1 out of 5 stars

• Written Aug 24, 2002

More General in Australia (1)

“Always living and learning”

Ranked Member

Have you been to Australia?