"Vicious Plants!!! (In England)" London Warnings Or Dangers Tip by Elena_007

London Warnings and Dangers: 649 reviews and 421 photos

Stinging Nettles (Urtica Dioica)
by Elena_007

Actually, anywhere in England, not just London, you may come across these wicked plants. DO NOT TOUCH!!! You will find them in parks, beside the roads, and in rural countrysides, especially. I brushed up against one on the side of the road as I was taking advantage of a photo opportunity ... OUCH! It felt like 100 bees stinging constantly in an area nearly the size of my thumb. It did subside after about 15 minutes. I won't let that happen accidentally again! (Never mind I am allergic to bees!)

Only days before the incident, I had heard a young boy screaming as if he was terrified, because his bike had landed in some Nettles. Lucky for him, he landed on concrete. I would hate to imagine landing in a bed of stinging nettles. It is really something you must remain aware of, and definitely keep a safe distance, always. I heard that they do actually have medicinal properties, and some people put on gloves, cut them down and make nettle soup! That must be their way of getting even with the vicious creature. (plant)

I found out on my return, after my neice (the herbalist) explained, they do actually grow in some areas of the United States, but not near where I live, so I was unaware there was such a monster,(plant) until, of course I experienced it's terror. Please look at the photo carefully. They have heart shaped leaves with teeth-like structures, usually fully upright, and ready to attack! (PIC shows them after being wounded with an ax!) They blend in with any flower garden, easily, and don't look harmful. For a better photo, please see the website listed below.

I didn't know of any cure to relieve the painful sensation other than time, but luckily, it didn't leave a scar. (well, not permanently) After some research on the Internet, I found out a paste of baking soda,or human spit may alleviate some of the pain. Also,(from VT'ers) by rubbing dock leaves that grow nearby on the injured area. IF only I knew at the time!

othercontact: www.naturepark.com/snettle.htm
Website: http://www.uksafari.com/stingingnettles.htm

• Updated Nov 26, 2005

Comments

Elena_007

“Smile ... because you can :)”

Have you been to London?