"The Killing Fields" Killing Fields Tip by Christianzagar

Killing Fields, Phnom Penh: 62 reviews and 167 photos

tower of skulls
by Christianzagar

The Killing Fields... hmmmmm Before I had even thought of what i would do when i went to Cambodia, i knew that i wanted to visit the killing fields. I may have not really understood that much about the khmer Rouge and all the horrible atrocities they commited, but I knew it was something i wanted to see. Many travellers had told me that there isn't anything to see and basically it wasn't worth going to.
No matter what other people say i always have to experience things for myself and then make my own opinions about things.
Like they said, there isn't much to see and the S-21 has way more to experience but it was quite am experience walking through the mass graves upon mass graves... What I really found disturbing wasn't the piles of skulls in the in pagoda, or the man who picked one up to show a tour group where an axe and cracked someons skull. But to see bits of clothing poking out from the group either at the bottoms of the graves or even on the paths... It made me quite upset. I overheard a guide (same guy who held the skull) telling his tour group that sometimes when it rains alot and the graves get flooded some bones come to the surface...

anyways I think that anyone who is in Cambodia should visit this place (or one of the many other "killing fields" across Cambodia)

Address: about half an hour's drive out side Phnom Penh
Directions: You can easily hire a driver for the day.. For about 6 US$ he will take you to the Killing fields and the S-21 museum and wait for you while you visit.
Website: http://www.killingfieldsmuseum.com/s21-victims.html

• Written Aug 9, 2004

Comments

Christianzagar

“explore”

Have you been to Phnom Penh?