"Local Terminology for cuisine and beverages - 2" Top 5 Page for this destination Food of N.O. Tip by jadedmuse
Food of N.O., New Orleans: 20 reviews and 24 photos
- Jambalaya (jum-buh-lie-ya): another Louisiana specialty consisting of rice, seasoning, and basically leftovers! That's right, mostly sausage, chicken, or seafood. The local joke is that "jambalaya" is French for "clean up the kitchen".
- Le Sazerac: This drink was a favorite of artists years back. A Sazerac is a potent concoction served in a martini glass, coated with pastis and containing rum, lemon juice, sugar and bitters. One sip and you'll think you're Marcel Proust!
- Muffelatta: Only my favorite sandwich in the world (pre-vegetarian days, that is). Obviously of Italian origins, you'll find layers of deli meats anchored by soft, round Italian bread - but what makes it a "piece de resistence" is the delicious olive and roasted pepper tapenade and provolone cheese that you'll find inside this sandwich. Favorite place to order one: Napolean House on Chartres Street in the French Quarter.
- Pimms Cup: Invented by the waiters at the Napolean House (my personal favorite place for its character and charm, including the waiters there), this drink is so refreshing you'll want a 2nd one before you even finish the 1st! There are various recipes for it, but you can either make it with lemonade, Pimms No. 1 (that's the actual alcoholic beverage that gives it a kick, originating from the UK), and 7-UP, topped with a cucumber slice - or you can make it as I do, which is 1/3 Pimms, and almost 2/3 Fresca, over ice, and of course, topped with a cucumber slice. I know it sounds weird, but trust me, it's the bomb!
More Local Customs in New Orleans (20)
More Reviews (63)
- See All Staying in the Garden District
- See All General Information
- See All Specialty Antiques and Furniture
- Ouch, my aching head....
- See All Louis Armstrong Int'l Airport - New...
- See All EMBRACE your tourist nature!
- "Betcha I can tell ya where ya got dem...
- See All Pascale's Manale
- See All Blues
- See All People Watching in the French Quarter
- See All DO NOT MISS THIS PLACE!
Been to New Orleans?Share your travels with the world!
jadedmuse's Related Pages
Have you been to New Orleans?Share Your Travels