Excelsior Heathrow: "Runway View" London Hotel Tip by DUNK67

London Hotels: 1,927 reviews and 2,227 photos

The Excelsior at the time was the best hotel that I had stayed at, I was there because I was running the London Marathon for the first time in 1986. I booked the Excelsior through a specialist sports tours company which included transport to the start of the race.

I had a bit of a shock when I got into the hotel, there was a shop in reception, I had never seen anything like that before. Anyway my room was on about the second or third floor, it was quite comfortable and had all the essentials in it. There were twin beds, tv, coffee making facilities, fruit bowl, telephone, ensuite shower/bathroom, all this added up to sheer luxury to me.

From the window I could see planes landing, this I thought would keep me awake at night but they didn`t because they were fairly quiet and the double glazing helped.

Now comes the first of two embarrasing moments, the phone rang, I picked it up and answered it and started talking to it.................it was the automated early morning wake up call that the tour company had booked for everyone.

Anyway I had breakfast, got showered and ready for the race. I got into the left pressed the button for the grouind floor then forgot all of my common sense. The doors opende, I walked out just as more runners walked in, had I missed the race? Nope I thought that I had got out on the ground floor when in reality I had only travelled one floor, much to the amusement of the other runners who asked if I had finished already.

Apart from the embarrasing moments I really enjoyed my stay at the Excelsior and would stay there again if I could afford it. The one thing that I would say against it though that it is quite along way by Tube from Central London.

Unique Qualities:

Address: Heathrow
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Opposite Heathrow Airport.
Price: US$80-120
Theme: Hotel

• Written Aug 4, 2004

Comments

DUNK67

“To see more clearly you must open your mind before you open your eyes.”

Have you been to London?