"Inle Lake" Top 5 Page for this destination Myanmar (Burma) Things to Do Tip by grets

Myanmar (Burma) Things to Do: 464 reviews and 930 photos

From Heho airport it's an hour's drive to Inle Lake, through beautiful scenery. There is a railway snaking its way through the hills - should think that's a spectacular journey! In Nyaungshwe we board a long tailed boat for the journey across the lake.

At the Nga Phe Monastery socks are OK, which makes a pleasant change. I'm getting fed up with taking my socks and shoes off all the time - I don't think I've walked so much barefott since I was a child. There is a lacquer Buddha in the monastery, it looks very similar to all the other Buddhas we've seen.

We pass through the famous floating gardens - strips of land about a yard wide, anchored to the bottom with bamboo poles, and planted mainly with tomato. The families live most of their lives in boats, they tend their gardens from the boat, go shopping in the boat (floating markets every five days - we missed it), go to school in the boat. The children play in the boats (we only see one small piece of land that they actually walk on, otherwise everything is done in buildings and walkways on stilts)., mainly with kites. The only time people go to the mainland is to go to college. 100,000 people live like this on the lake. I ask Aye Mae when the children learn to swim and am told: 'the first time they fall in !'.

• Written Aug 3, 2004

“If you keep your face to the sunshine, you cannot see the shadows”

Have you been to Myanmar (Burma)?