"Poverty and few visitors" Top 5 Page for this destination Druskininkai Local Custom Tip by matcrazy1
Druskininkai Local Customs: 20 reviews and 20 photos
I found Druskininkai clean, beautiful, relaxing and first of all, pretty empty resort in June. All restaurants, cafes were empty or almost empty, streets and parks as well. Druskininkai itself had approx. 21,000 citizens. Why people didn't go there to relax?
Well, there were few older visitors speaking mainly Polish or Russian language. Where were Lithuanian visitors?
Hmm... later on during my Lithuanian trip (in over-crowded Palanga) I got to know what most locals were looking for to relax. First of all they needed cheap, very cheap accommodations which costed 10.00 Lt (? 3.01; US$ 3.63; 14 Polish zl) or even 7.00 Lt per person for rented room in Palanga. So, Druskininkai was simply too expensive for most of Lithuanians. Am I wrong?
Notice that the average monthly salary in US$ at the beginning of 2003 was only 278 in Lithuania, while in Poland 500 (Estonia 351, Czech 347, Latvia 272). Source: Ministries of Labor, 2003
Keep in mind that average prices were lower in Druskininkai than in any western European resort but not as many times lower as salaries and NOT all prices were lower.
More Local Customs in Druskininkai (19)
More Reviews (70)
- See All Walk around a lake and rest :-)
- See All Polish mass media
- See All Buy this leaflet - city guide
- Weather, shoes, smile... :-)))
- See All New business architecture
- See All Did it come from Germany?
- See All Surprisingly good beer
- See All Greek salad was not Greek salad
- Music concerts and... no nightlife?
- See All Green and clean guest house
- See All Where and what to fuel up?
Been to Druskininkai?Share your travels with the world!
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Druskininkai?Share Your Travels