"Great Location, Architecture, and Daily Paper!" Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Favorite Tip by deecat

Chicago General: 445 reviews and 517 photos

Chicago's Tribune Tower
by deecat

Favorite thing: Located at North Michigan Avenue, near the Chicago River, The Tribune Tower was modeled after the Button Tower of the Rouen Cathedral in France. In 1922 The Chicago Daily Tribune had a competition for the most beautiful building design in the world, and Raymond Hood and John Howel won with their Gothic Designthat became the eye-appealing TRIBUNE TOWER. In the early 1920s, the trend was toward sleek, no decorations, bare minimum design for skyscrapers so some people were upset with the ornate Gothic design that won. Personally, I'm very glad that it did win.
It has decorative buttresses at the top and has many famous stones in its facade, including rocks from the Chinese wall, the Roman Colosseum, the Alamo, and from the US walk on the moon!
I'm no expert on architecture, but I know what is appealing to the eye, and The Tribune Tower of Chicago meets my personal criteria for "remarkable architecture.

Fondest memory: I took this photograph from bridge near the Chicago River. I used to always mix up the Tribune Tower and the Wrigley Building...not that they look alike, I simply had difficulty remembering which was which. I especially love seeing the Tribune Tower at night when the tower's spire is lit up; it has a golden glow about it.
Note: Click on picture to see the full view of the Tribune Tower

• Updated Jul 27, 2004

Comments

deecat Lives Here!

deecat

Have you been to Chicago?