"Smallest City Hall in America: Maskell, Nebraska" Top 5 Page for this destination Nebraska Off The Beaten Path Tip by Stephen-KarenConn

Nebraska Off The Beaten Path: 30 reviews and 42 photos

City Hall, Maskell, Nebraska
by Stephen-KarenConn

I was driving along Nebraska Highway 12, paralleling the Missouri River and just across the border from South Dakota, when I saw the billboard: "Welcome to Maskell, Home of the Smallest City Hall in the U.S." An arrow pointed three blocks off the highway, and it so happens that the town of Maskel is exactly three blocks long and two blocks wide. There is a Lutheran Church, a cluster of houses, and a population of 54 people.

I circled the town completely and found myself back out at the highway, but saw no City Hall. I went back and looked more carefully the second time around and found it. The small white shed-like building, 10x12 feet, was painted white. In front was a large barrel of petunias, a water fountain, and a sign which said "Wet Paint." I peered into the open front door and could clearly see that the grey floor paint inside had recently been applied. An electric fan stood in the doorway, no doubt to speed the drying of the paint. There was not a stick of furniture in the tiny building - but then it was being painted.

I walked all around City Hall, peered in both windows, and looked up and down the street. Not a single soul was in sight. I'll have to come back another time when the paint is dry. Why is it that I just love discovering places like this?

othercontact: City Hall, Maskell, NE 68751

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

Comments

Have you been to Nebraska?