"Night Fishing" Maldives Things to Do Tip by ClareBear

Maldives Things to Do: 274 reviews and 463 photos

You really really must do a night fishing trip - all the islands will have them.

We got one included in our package, so i'm not sure of the normal cost.

You board the boat just as the sun is setting and are greeted by the crew. Our crew were great, laughing a joking with everyone.

You are then handed what can only be described as a piece of plastic wire with a hook on the end and something to reel the wire in with!

You then travel on the boat for about half an hour, by which time it is dark, then the captain drops the anchor. The crew show you how it's done and explain how easy it is! NOT!

He threw his line in and in about 20 seconds reeled in a baracuda he then proceeded to smack the fish over the head with a piece of wood and threw it on the deck. All the women on the boat were gasping and arrrrrring while the men seem to be quite impressed and could'nt wait to behave like cavemen!

Someone even caught an eel which was the scariest evil looking thing I have EVER seen, it coiled itself up and did not look very happy at being caught! But the crew member gave it the same treatment as the Baracuda - no favouritism show on that boat!

After an hour or so (or when every single person has caught something - with or without help from the crew!) you then head back to your island.

The hotel then cook your catch for you on a bbq on the beach - peronally I could not eat my fish because it looked at me in the eye before it died - however I was told afterwards that my fish tasted yummy!

Address: Meeru Island Resoirt
Directions: N/A

• Written Jul 23, 2004

“So much to see, so little time”

Have you been to Maldives?