"Hiking in Switzerland" Basel Off The Beaten Path Tip by thinking
Basel Off The Beaten Path: 38 reviews and 60 photos
Kur- und Verkehrsverein
Tel. +41 (0) 81 838 60 00
Picturesque Lake Sils
The lake region of the Upper Engadine is one of the most unforgettable areas of Switzerland. This high plateau is dotted with sparkling lakes and ancient villages that are built in the unmistakable local architecture. Forests of fir trees and hiking trails perched on the mountain side make this a high quality hiking destination. The loop around Lake Sils especially showcases the region's attractiveness and diversity.
The loop around Lake Sils begins in the village of Sils-Maria, once summer home and inspiration to Nietzsche. After 100 meters, the route branches off to Sils -Baselgia. Here, the trail ascends to a mountain trail that leads all the way to Maloja. Be sure to take a look at the azure lake deep down in the valley from both Grevasalvas and Plan dil Zoch. Don't hike all the way to Maloja but just short of it turn to follow the lakeshore down in the valley. Halfway, you will spy Isola, in its rather isolated position on the delta of the nearby mountain stream.
Starting point: Bus station Sils-Maria Post.
Destination: Sils-Maria Post.
The historic center of Sils-Maria is worth a detour.
Walking time: 4 h 50 min
Season: June through October
Altitude difference/Condition: 360 m / Intermediate to difficult
Place to eat: Sils-Maria, Sils-Baselgia, Maloja, Isola
Hiking map SAW Julierpass 1:50'000
More Off The Beaten Path in Basel (1)
More Reviews (45)
- See All Ring the bell
- See All The Daily Gathering of Nannys & their...
- See All Take a look at the typical Swiss salad...
- See All THE MAIN DEPARTMENT STORE & THE MOST...
- See All BASEL WATCH & JEWELERY SHOW
- I couldn't find any tourist traps in...
- See All Casual lifestyle around the Rhine River
- See All Centerpoint: English Videos & Books
- Careful of this area
- 1000 links to Switzerland & Basel on the...
- Jumping into the Rhine creates a need
- Basel Tourism's Accomodation Website
thinking's Related Pages
Have you been to Basel?Share Your Travels