"Karmiel Dance Festival" Karmi'el Things to Do Tip by Jackiekg

Karmi'el Things to Do: 1 reviews and 1 photos

Karmiel Dance Festival
by Jackiekg

This year the Karmiel Dance Festival celebrated 17 years of activity. The Festival takes place annually during the summer for 3 continuous days and nights.
This is a national Israeli Festival, which is famous in the international world of dance.

The Festival opened with a celebratory parade which included about 5,000 dancers from Israeli and Diaspora troupes.
The city of Karmiel, with it's pastoral landscape, was transformed from a quiet Galilean city into an international center for dance. The dozens of events and dance performances attract a crowd of about 250,000.

I watched all the dance groups give a very short performance and in the evening I went to the amphitheatre to watch a performance with over 1.500 dancers. (See photos). Another night I watched The Kibbutz Dance Company. During the day I went to watch ballroom/formation dancing, where a lot of the dancers looked around 11-12 to me! (See photos).

One of the main reasons for going is also to dance ourselves and this is what I and my friends did starting from around 12 midnight!
No need to say that we got to bed rather late in the morning.

Karmiel is a nice town and has some nice malls, but as we didn't go for shopping, we didn't spend much time in any of them except to eat.

Watch out for next year's dates and come for a visit - even if you don't dance there is a lot to do - keeping in mind it is very hot at this time of the year, so it's a bit difficult to just walk around the town. There is a large bazaar and plenty of places to eat also.

Address: In the city centre at various locations

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

Comments

Have you been to Karmi'el?