"Go on a Guided Night Hike" Australia Things to Do Tip by AKtravelers
Australia Things to Do: 1,336 reviews and 2,265 photos
On kangaroo island, we met some people on a beach who worked at a local conservation area. Their company (for lack of a better word) operates areas in Australia that are fenced in so that indigenous species can live unmolested by the invaders that now populate most of Australia. In order to raise monmey for their ecological preservation work, they sponsor payed night hikes through their lands. We payed $AUS 11 a piece for the owner to take us around (even though they were really supposed to be closed that night)
Australia at night is full of wild noises and active animals. Koalas grunting, birds cawing, wallabies hopping, echindas crawling -- you get the picture. The most amazing animals were the ants that understood physics. Amazingly, on hot days they cover their colony with white pebbles to reflect the sun, and on cool days they cover their colony with black stones. How did they figure that out?
More Reviews (20)
- See All Take the old Glenelg-Adelaide Train
- See All The Oldest Hotel in Narandarra
- See All Visit the Wind-Sculpted Rocks on...
- Buy Opals in Adelaide
- See All Canberra - a functional (not tourist)...
- Australian Rules Football
- See All Stay Awake on Long Drives
- Pack for cool wind and strong sun
- The proper way to greet a kangaroo
- Shiraz Goes Best with Kangaroo
- Watch the Penguins Parade on Kangaroo...
- Skip the Cities; See the Wild Side!
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Have you been to Australia?Share Your Travels