"Wait, wait and again wait" Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Warnings Or Dangers Tip by matcrazy1

Vilnius Warnings and Dangers: 60 reviews and 39 photos

WAITING PLACE :-)))
by matcrazy1

I had to wait almost one hour before I got to the top of Vilnius TV tower. I don't know why. There were not many visitors and both lifts (well one was for service staff only) were working but for staff only. I asked one person (lift-woman) and she replied me very seriously in Russian "nada zdat" (you need to wait). Hmm... and I was waiting, waiting, waiting. Others as well. It remained me "Soviet order" in not so old past...

WAITING CUSTOM
Waiting was the main way of spending time in my country before communism collapse (1989) and probably in Lithuania as well.

Waiting? Yes! Waiting to enter the paradise that was the Soviet Union (up to 48 hours), before: waiting for... a passport (stored at a police office - a week or... a few months in a queque - registration every day in "waiting book" obligatory), waiting in looong queques to buy anything (a few hours or the whole night in crisis) or something more exotic like say... oranges (available in times of prosperity only), waiting for a free place in a restaurant, waiting in a queque to buy a car (1-2 years!), to get a flat (right to hire it to be exact - 52 years! in Krakow) etc., etc., etc. Difficult to believe now!

Now, people must wait only to pay taxes if they do it at last hours, to get to a doctor in public health service, sometimes at the post office or a bank and... to enter Poland (Europeam Union) back from Russia, Belarus or Ukraine (a few hours usually).

• Updated Jul 7, 2004

Comments

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Vilnius?