"Broad Street Cemetery" Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Things to Do Tip by RhondaRuth
Salem Things to Do: 170 reviews and 343 photos
Right across the street from the Pickering House is one of the oldest cemeteries in Salem. This picture of the entrance was taken on a lovely Summer day. You're welcome to visit, but not after dark.
Beneath a small, white obelisk (Plate 9) lie the remains of George and Jonathan Corwin. George, who was only twenty-five at the time of the hysteria, served as the high sheriff of Essex County in 1692. In this capacity he directed the confiscation of property from those convicted of witchcraft and carried out the death sentences of the nineteen who were hanged and of Giles Corey who was pressed to death for refusing to stand trial. George's funeral in 1697 was delayed by Philip English, who sought to recoup some of the fortune Corwin had seized from him in 1692 when English stood accused of witchcraft.
Jonathan Corwin, a Salem merchant and the owner of the still-standing "Witch House," served as a magistrate at many of the examinations and later as a justice of the Court of Oyer and Terminer. He died on 9 June 1718, aged seventy-eight years.
Address: Broad Street
More Things to Do in Salem (14)
More Reviews (33)
- See All A Bewitching good meal ...
- Don't forget to pack your costume!
- See All Walk the Mall ... at the Essex St....
- See All Fun for all ages
- See All Salem Trolley -- Historic Tours of Salem
- See All Boating and Sailing on Salem Sound
- See All Some of the homes are FREE to tour ...
- Salem's Wax Museum of Witches &...
- See All Tour one of the private homes from the...
- Ghouls and Goblins walk the streets!
- See All Rich in History!
- Watch out for strange...
RhondaRuth's Related Pages
Have you been to Salem?Share Your Travels