"Penrith" Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Off The Beaten Path Tip by margaretvn

It is not so far from all the main lakes, about 15 miles from Ullswater, but the town of Penrith is worth a visit. There are some lovely little shops in the old town centre and a bit of retail therapy is always fun. The 14th century castle is lovely, it is across from the railway station. Go to St Andrew's church and see the strange hogback stones there. It is said that it is a giants grave!
A little way north of Penrith is Little Salkeld with a Bronze Age circle, it is known as "Long Meg and her Daughters" and is made of about 70 tall stones. If you have read my other pages you will know that these circles fascinate me. Unfortunately that day was bad weather and I did not take my camera with me (it was year ago before I discovered VT now I ALWAYS have my camera with me)
I have put Penrith here as off the beaten track because I and several friends and family members visited the Lakes many times without going to the lovely little town. Spent all our time around the lakes and never got further away!

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Jan 28, 2007

Comments

margaretvn

“I have spread my dreams under your feet....tread softly - you tread on my dreams”

Have you been to Lake District National Park?