"Recoleta Cemetary" Recoleta Cemetery - Cementerio de la Recoleta Tip by mydreamquest

by mydreamquest

• Recoleta Cemetary - Buenos Aires
  • Recoleta Cemetary - Buenos Aires
      Entrance to Recoletta
    by mydreamquest

Journal Entry: Buenos Aires, April 11, 2004

...as I walked out of my apartment on Calle Junin, in Recoleta, a 7am morning walk after only a 30 minutes rest, I arrived at the gates of Recoleta Cemetery. It is considered to be Argentina´s main tourist attraction because Eva Peron (Evita) was buried here.

As I walked through the entrance, I saw the guard, in his blue uniform, looking like a shoulder, slouched back on his chair, sleeping away with his head pointed to the sky and mouth wide open like a donut hole.

Then, as I entered the cemetery, I was greeted by the thick, pungent smell of urin and by cats that all gave me haunting stares; the identical stare in the eyes of every woman that lives in Buenos Aires gives to a man who they do not know.

It is what I now refer to as the tango stare when a two large eyes look at you with contempt, yet through the eyes of your soul somehow into to you with a bitter romantic longing that makes your eyes feel sad.

Address: Junín 1760, 1113 Buenos Aires
Directions: Although smelly, there is a lot of history to this charming Cemetary. First, Eva Peron is sheltered here supposedly in such a secure tomb that a nuclear bomb couldn't destroy her resting place. Also, Borges wrote a poem in Recoleta Cemetary.
Phone: +54 11 4803-1594
Website: http://www.cementeriorecoleta.com.ar/

• Written Jun 30, 2004

Comments

mydreamquest

“"I love being lost in a country where the chances of me returning are less than the chances of me being robbed."”

Have you been to Buenos Aires?