"Sulfur dioxide. Don't breathe, danger" Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Warnings Or Dangers Tip by JLBG

Iceland Warnings and Dangers: 131 reviews and 166 photos


The volcanic activity is high in all of Iceland but even more so the Myvatn area. Some of the fumes are highly aggressive, very hot and rich in sulfur dioxide. When you see fumes coming out of the soil, always beware and be cautious. You should always avoid breathing this kind of fume, that might be dangerous and you might get suffocated. If you are close to fumes, take care of the wind, it might change and blow the fumes towards you.

Review Helpfulness: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Was this review helpful?

  • Updated Nov 4, 2004
  • Send to a Friend
  • Add to your Trip Planner
  • Report Abuse



“I believe that tourists are very valuable to the modern world. It is very difficult to hate people you know. (Steinbeck)”

Online Now


Top 1,000 Travel Writer
Member Rank:
0 0 0 0 3
Forum Rank:
0 0 3 0 7

Have you been to Iceland?

  Share Your Travels