"Far have I traveled, and much have I seen..." Beatles Sites Tip by londonlover

Beatles Sites, Liverpool: 36 reviews and 43 photos

Woo-hoo, I was here!
by londonlover

...but this is one of my all-time favourite travel experiences right here. Walking into Paul McCartney's boyhood home at 20 Forthlin Road in Allerton, Liverpool. I know every Beatles song inside out, and just to be in this house knowing how many of those songs were written right there was enough to make me hyperventilate.

The house is much smaller than Mendips, John Lennon's boyhood home, owing to the McCartney familiy's more working class upbringing. Mike McCartney (Paul's brother and an excellent pop photographer) has contributed the many family photos that hang on the walls here, and many of the original fixtures remain here. I walked right into Paul's tiny little bedroom (not even a closet in there!), sat in the same spot where he and John wrote countless songs, and walked into the outdoor toilets in back. Only another Beatles fanatic could understand how extremely cool that is. :)

The custodian here is named Eric, and he is a fantastic guy--a native, soft-spoken and funny, and he looks uncannily like Macca himself, which makes me like him even more. He was nice enough to pose with us here.

Address: 20 Forthlin Road

• Written Jun 26, 2004

Comments

londonlover

“One does evil enough when one does nothing good. --German Proverb”

Have you been to Liverpool?