"The Hawaiian Islands - Rental Car or not?" Hawaii (State of) Transportation Tip by iluvtrvl

Hawaii (State of) Transportation: 90 reviews and 63 photos

Always make advance reservations for your rental car, especially if you are traveling in an area other than Honolulu.

Unless your are staying in Waikiki, you will want a rental car. If you are staying in Waikiki, take a cab to/from the airport, and use a tour company (see my comments on Roberts Hawaii Tours) to see the sights. Parking in Honolulu and Waikiki is sparse and expensive. On the other islands, it depends on how much exploring on your own you want to do. We did a day trip from Honolulu to Kauai through Roberts, and it was an excellent visit.. However, if I were staying on Kauai, I saw enough to know I would want my own wheels. Definitely the same for the Big Island, where you need at least 3 days for a good sampling of what this island has to offer - I recommend at least 5 days at the Big Island. Maui is similar to Kauai - the larger towns where you will find restaurants, shopping etc., are spread out over the island, and getting from one scenic venue to another can be done by local tours - but much better if you had a good guidebook and your own wheels. Guide books I would recommend are Fodor's and Lonely Planet.

Mode: AROUND
Type: Car/Motor Home

• Updated Jun 26, 2004

More Transportation in Hawaii (State of) (1)

Comments

iluvtrvl

“Book it and go....or you never will!”

Have you been to Hawaii (State of)?