"For Polish-Lithuanian friendship :-)" Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Local Custom Tip by matcrazy1

Vilnius Local Customs: 135 reviews and 161 photos

URSZULA FOR LITHUANIAN-POLISH FRIENDSHIP
by matcrazy1

BEFORE MY VISIT
Before my trip to Vilnius I knew about shared Polish and Lithuanian, sometimes great, sometimes very sad history of this city and country. I knew very warm and friendly opinions of my Polish friends about Lithuanians including of those who already visited Lithuania.

IN VILNIUS
We were drinking delicious Svyturys beer for Lithuanian-Polish friendship with our new Lithuanian friends in Vilnius restaurant. Well, they both (a young couple) asked me not to publish their faces on VT, so there is Urszula (matcrazy0) on my picture.

I was treated very well in Vilnius both by local tourist business (no wonder, business is business :-) and by both Lithuanian and even more by Polish locals, I was lucky to meet. I got to know that Polish miniroty (18.7 %) of Vilnius wanted and needed more contacts with Poland and Polish visitors and they needed more support from Polish authorities esp. that they were usually less educated and poor. Well, as I know, richer and better educated Poles were either killed or exciled (by Soviets) or managed to immigrate to Poland or Western Europe/USA etc.

I didn't change my good opinion on Vilnius and its citizens after my first and second visit. Although I got to know much more including new for me knowledge about difficulties in Polish-Lithuanian relations.

FUTURE
Well, more and more Lithuanians comes to Poland (for business or leisure) and opposite, more Poles go to visit and/or do business in Lithuania and Vilnius.
I was told that quite many, younger, Polish speaking Vilnians want to move to Poland looking for better life. You are welcome :-) but keep in mind that we have 20% unemployment in Poland (in 2004). It's quite easy to move since both countries joined European Union on 1 May 2004.

• Updated Jun 25, 2004

Comments

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Vilnius?