Antikvaras Vidas: "My recommendation :-)))" Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Shopping Tip by matcrazy1

Vilnius Shopping: 73 reviews and 81 photos

ANTIKVARAS VIDAS - ENTRANCE
by matcrazy1

This was an antique store/shop located in Vilnius old town at a yard of "Victoria House" at Pilies 32. I went through this heavy gate on my picture steep stairs down and... what a surprice! Inside rather dark underground cellar I found a great choice of old items mixed with both kitschy and beautiful souvenirs.

Unfortunatelly a guy - seller could speak neither English nor Polish. Well, he could speak a little bit Russian but he coudn't... count in Russian. I coudn't understand his Lithuanian-Russian... Never mind, he could write down the prices...

What to buy: Hmm... what you want but... keep in mind that you are not allowed to export outside Lithuania any old item (made before 1945 as I know) without special permission from the state. Well, window shopping can be a great fan as well.

Antiques: clothes, clocks, paintings, icons, photographs, books, ceramics and... items like statues, flags from times of Soviet Union occupation.
Souvenirs: postcards, cards, bells, ceramics...

What to pay: NO fixed prices. Bargain, bargain, bargain... Lower prices for Lithuanian speaking folks, I suppose. Just one example: old icons costed 600 to over 1,000 litas. Hmm... I didn't see any certificate of origin on them... so, I doubt whether they were original...

Address: Pilies gatve 32, Vilnius
Directions: From Cathedral Square walk main street of the old town (Pilies gatve) and enter the gate at # 32 (on the left when you pass by Literatu gatve) - the entrance on my picture on the left, go downstairs.
Theme: Antiques

Review Helpfulness: 2 out of 5 stars

• Updated Oct 17, 2006

Comments

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Vilnius?