"Historic Architecture and More!" Top 5 Page for this destination Bastion Square Tip by Jetgirly

Bastion Square, Victoria: 13 reviews and 19 photos

Bastion Square Architecture
      Bastion Square Architecture
      Bastion Square Market
    by Jetgirly

I wish I could find the notes from my UVic architecture class to tell you a bit about the buildings in Bastion Square- perhaps it is enough to know that the square used to house the Law Courts, and the legend of Matthew Begbie (the Hanging Judge) still lives on! In the summer there is a great market in the square, with people selling all sorts of stuff. My personal favorite stall is owned by Free Spirit Botanicals, a local company (with whom I am NOT affiliated in any way) that makes great body products. I had so many customer rave about their Gardeners Hand Cream that I finally had to check it out for myself- AMAZING stuff! You can also visit the Maritime Museum, located in the heart of the square.

There is also a popular pub (Darcy's) and busy nightclub (Upstairs Cabaret) at the lower end of the square. Upstairs is busiest on Friday and Saturday nights. Cafe Paradiso de Stelle has good pastas and paninis for lunch, and Rebar (at the top of the square) is one of my favorite restaurants in Victoria. If you cross the streets at the bottom of the square and go down the wooden stairway, you will reach Boom Boom Room- the best club in Victoria on Monday nights.

Directions: Between Government and Wharf Streets, at the bottom of View Street. Pedestrian traffic only.
Website: http://bastionsquare.ca

• Updated Jan 3, 2007

Jetgirly Used To Live Here!

“I've come to eat all of your fruits and vegetables.”

Have you been to Victoria?