"Our lodging was this quaint..." Africa Hotel Tip by ohmarie

Africa Hotels: 189 reviews and 614 photos

Our lodging was this quaint dorm-like set up called The Naimiwawa Lodge. We spent a total of 4 nights there during our 14 day trip! This was the chance to sleep in a bed, and take a shower (cold) with genuine flushing toilets! Although my sister and I shared a room with three large spiders we called 'Frankensteins', it was a place we looked forward to spending the night in before and after our nights spent in the villages!

Unique Qualities: The villages were similar to each other in the constuction of their huts, and bathrooms (a hole surrounded by twigs for privacy). We brought Mosquito Nets to sleep under (blue ones) and would string them up in between trees or our buses, or sometimes hang them from a shelter specially constructed in anticipation of our arrival. We had broken Army cots we'd assemble in the dark surrounded by hundreds of wide-eyed children who would graciously lend a hand of we seemed to struggle too long. There was rain and ants everywhere, but after the first day, it doesn't matter and you sleep through it all. We looked like a circus act as we disappeared and reappered from these blue mesh contraptions each night and morning!

Directions: Village after village. I can't tell you where they were, all I know is some were off the dirt roads, some were nestled among tea fields, and giant ant hills the size of a house. All ranging from 1-4 h
Theme: Other

• Written Aug 24, 2002

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.