"The International Mountain Museum" Top 5 Page for this destination International Mountain Museum Tip by Saagar
International Mountain Museum, Pokhara: 2 reviews and 6 photos
The International Mountain Museum in Pokhara is a recent institution and was inaugurated during the 50th anniversary of the first successful Everest climb.
Here you find exhibitions and displays showing the history of mountaineering in Nepal, focus on key mountains and displays showing some of the mountain people in Nepal with a popish anthropological twist. There are also exhibits on animal and plant life and mountain ecology, but this takes second place. No doubt, the big interest behind seems to be the climbing elite.
I missed a more thorough focus on livelihoods, just to set the stage for the displays on the people of the Himalalya and out the technical climbing stuff in some perspective. Someone told me this will be improved.
Entry is expensive by local standards - 300 Rs. Gives you access to an outdoor exhibition and good restaurant facilities, too. Very nicely done, the whole place.
Address: Just south of the airport, Pokhara
Directions: Take the second road to the left after the runway, then follow signs to the museum, located on the bank of the Sethi Khola gorge.
More Things to Do in Pokhara (20)
More Reviews (54)
- See All Rupa Tal lake
- See All Hiring vehicles in Pokhara
- See All Modern amenities, sterile, but good on...
- See All Buying pashmina shawls
- See All Good atmosphere, good Italian food
- See All Pokhara Cyber Cafe
- See All Muggings on the Mardi to Peace Pagoda...
- See All Your mobile phone?
- See All Fishing in Rupa Tal
- See All Mahendrapul & Chipledhunga
- See All Relax and keep warm into the night on...
Been to Pokhara?Share your travels with the world!
Saagar's Related Pages
Have you been to Pokhara?Share Your Travels