"We call it "Roadkill"" Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Favorite Tip by kiwi
New Zealand General: 375 reviews and 341 photos
Favorite thing: Often when you are driving the roads of New Zealand you come across these furry creatures dead on the road. They are what we call Possums. Different to what some of you call by the same name, but very familiar to every New Zealander.
These animals were introduced to NZ in the 1800's to create a fur industry, which eventually died out. This was a huge mistake. Now we have millions of them, unlike their native Australia, where I believe they are protected.
The problem is these nocturnal devils denude the native bush as they feed in the night. We are losing acres of our precious bush and the battle to stop the Possum is very difficult. The damage they cause is causing a lot of our native birds to decline in numbers due to lack of feeding areas.
Fondest memory: Although the general feeling towards real fur around the world is not to buy it, we like to encourage you to purchase our Possum Fur products.
Creating an industry and market for possum fur means hunters will help the endless battle to rid our islands of this pest.
One company is promoting the industry and explains why on their website:
PossumPam - click on "Possum Info" and read that page.
More General in New Zealand (17)
More Reviews (66)
- See All Canoe Regatta
- See All Camping on Side of Road
- See All Nakedbus.com Cheapest travel around NZ.
- See All Visit White Island an active volcano.
- See All Beer unique to New Zealand
- See All No such thing as a short-beaked kiwi.
- See All Bungy Jump at the home of all Bungy!!
- See All The ladies' Bra Fence.
- See All Camp grounds and holiday parks.
- See All Between Hamilton and Rotorua
- Respect the Sun's Powers at all times!
Been to New Zealand?Share your travels with the world!
kiwi's Related Pages
Have you been to New Zealand?Share Your Travels